Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Social Anxiety and Alcohol Abuse

People with social anxiety also find themselves abusing alcohol or other mind altering drugs. I'm not talking the ones prescribed by a doctor. I'm talking about using alcohol and drugs for self-help to overcome social anxiety.

I was on just about every medication you can think of to treat my social anxiety and depression, and I used to laugh and tell the doctor he would become rich if he could invent an alcohol pill. It seemed like that was the only thing to allow me to really relax.

What a mistake! A few years ago one summer, I used alcohol for self-help. I ended up more anxious and more depressed. Not to mention the problems it caused with my friends and family. Thank goodness I woke up one day and realized that, because I don't think I would be here today.

Social anxiety and alcohol abuse can go hand and hand if you're not careful. Trust me when I say using alcohol to overcome your anxiety is a huge mistake, and one that only makes matters worse.

Finally, alcohol is not on the self-help list to overcome social anxiety.


1 comments:

  1. I would like campus administrations to take more responsibility not only for educating students about alcohol abuse, particularly binge drinking, but to be more responsible themselves in promoting activities that involve heavy drinking.

    _____________________
    skai

    Alcohol abuse affects millions. This site has a lot of useful information. http://www.alcoholabusecenter.com

    ReplyDelete



Care to help a new, tired Grandma out with a cup of coffee?

Inspiring Quotes

 

Followers

Translate

About Me

Join My Community at MyBloglog!